About the Skynet 6A Project:
Airbus Defence and Space provides a range of space-based services to customers worldwide including supporting the UK Armed Forces, and its NATO Allies. Airbus has owned and operated the Skynet military communications system, providing 24/7 services across the world for more than 15 years on behalf of the UK MOD.
In July 2020, Airbus Defence and Space signed a contract with the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) to extend and enhance the Skynet fleet. The project involves the development, manufacture, cyber protection, assembly, integration, test and launch, of a military communications satellite, Skynet 6A, planned for launch in 2025.
This contract for 6A demonstrates the strong working partnership we have with UK MOD, built on the success we have jointly achieved on the Skynet 5 system since 2003 and continues our long tradition as the UK national milsatcom end-to-end services provider. We are now actively recruiting to grow the Skynet 6A delivery team and have a number of vacancies across a diverse range of disciplines.
This is an exciting opportunity to work as part of the Project management Office (PMO) and support the development and implementation of professional Project Management processes in Secure Communications (SC) UK.
As a PMO Manager with extensive experience, the primary focus will be to provide hands on support to SC UK to enable it to manage its project deliveries as effectively as possible including ensuring project plan execution and that the projects perform according to plans and schedules, within project budgets and satisfying operational objectives by implementation, improvement and governance of PM processes.
The majority of the work will Skynet 6A however, the role will have wider responsibilities across Secure Communications (SC) UK.
You will have key interfaces with the Project Managers, Work Package Managers, Control Account Managers, Project PMO Leads, Project Schedulers, Financial Project Controlling, Chief Engineer and the Sourcing Manager.
Reports to the Head of PMO
- Co-ordinating the implementation of appropriate business management tools, relevant methodologies, tools, templates and documentation.
- Meet the evolving needs UK&US Secure Comms, including:
- Conforming to recognised best business management practice
- Providing a common set of project & business process tools, eg. Maturity Gate & Design Review status/tracking, Key Milestone, Issues & Dependencies status/tracking)
- Helping to build a Programme Governance aware culture within UK&US Secure Comms including appropriate education in the processes, tools and reporting of projects.
- Acting as Deputy to the Head of PMO
- Interfacing with the core business functions (Finance, Commercial, Human Resources & Engineering) on project management processes, tools and improvements.
- Acting as the Chair for the Commercial Change Control Board (CCB) on behalf of UK&US Secure Comms
- Providing consolidated project reports on a monthly and quarterly basis to the UK&US Secure Comms HO Project Delivery and Secure Comms Exec including special focus reports as required.
- Acting as the Data Manager to ensure the project “Single Point of Truth” (SPOT) data in the ADS project reporting systems is maintained
- Programme/Project Management skills and track record in technical projects including scheduling, logic checking, earned value, risk and best practice.
- Research and Analytical skills.
- Knowledge Management techniques
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good written communication skills
- Determined and focussed approach to complete a task. (Completer/Finisher)
- Experienced in working within a PMO including scheduling, cost control, risk management and configuration control.
- Experience in resource management, planning and forecasting
- Proven team building skills at management level
Training will be provided for:
- Good working knowledge of the MS Office suite including MS Project and Oracle Primavera (P6) scheduling tool
- Knowledge of software tools for risk management including Active Risk Manager (ARM), schedule & cost risk analysis.
- Knowledge / experience in the field of Satellite Communications
The successful candidate will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.